Monday, April 14, 2008

first 5% done!(maybe)

yes I'm still alive, and it's been wonderful so far! can't wait to head into the smokeys tomorrow and then on to hot springs!!! our longest day so far was yesterday, with Kristi and I each doing 16 or so miles. the first week it rained, then the sun came out, then rain and now it snowed last night, good thing the shelter was full so we had body heat. I've also met quite the motley crew of awesome, and sometimes interesting, people, all of whom have their own story, most of which are interesting. as of right now, we're on schedule and staying the night with half Elvis, bear bait, and pony boy in Fontana dam because it's so cold. onward and forward to 15 miles tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am so glad to see it confirmed that you are on your way!

I hope that you trimmed your tags from your clothing to reduce weight as someone I know did, who trekked the trail at 64 with two hip replacements! I am so glad I did some hiking in Europe when I was you age Lauren, as I can't imagine it now.

On keeping warm, we found out in Canada during a camping trip and an unexpected cold snap, after piling every piece of clothing we had with us into the sleeping bags, if you wear a knit hat to bed, it makes a huge difference. But I am sure you know that.

Looking forward to many more of your posts, and wish you more of a wonderful idea!