Monday, May 12, 2008

"The only thing keeping you on the mountain was your pack"

howdy again! I know it hasn't been long, but we had a bit of a weather issue. Let's start from where I left off: leaving Damascus. So we got out of Damascus on Saturday late in the afternoon and made it the 15 miles to our shelter for the night. Though I'm working on breaking in my new shoes, I did indeed make it 15 miles....with many foot-related stops along the way. So we wake up in the morning yesterday and start our way towards the tallest mountain in Va.- Mount Rogers. Overnight, it had become cold, terribly windy, and looked very threateningly of rain. We head on anyway, wearing our rain gear so it won't rain on us. We stop part way up the mountain to put on another layer and continue on. We get towards the top and the trees start shrinking and turning into sparse shrubbery, as well as it is now drizzling. We continue on, only to get nearly blown off the mountain in estimated 60-70mph winds-the duct tape I had on my pack cover was blown off, and the cover almost went with it, as well as me:) We proceed to cower behind a rock outcropping and call a few people to figure out the weather report, and then, since we value our lives, decide to turn around and come back into town for a bit. As we were headed back towards the road, it started down pouring, as well as thunder and lightning, ensuring us we had made the right decision. So we aren't going to cross Mt. Rogers until tomorrow. But we are still alive and not hypothermic!

2 comments:

Gretch said...

Gee - sounds like a ton of fun! I would enjoy it except I hate peanut butter... oh well. Eat some extra for me. Heather tells me you want me to check the maps for how close you get to Aunt Debbie's house, so I'll do that. Also, I'm guessing you know, but I'm moving and we may have to work out a new place to meet, although I can stick with the one we agreed on if you want. Let me know some time :) Stay safe!

PS - there was an article in the Reading paper about some guy from Exeter (near Reading) who just reached Damascus, so maybe you've met him. He's in his late 20's and a bankruptcy attorney, I believe.

Anonymous said...

FYI: I know this is your journal and that you're posting in your own little language, but just be aware that some of the relatives are also reading and keep it clean. ;-)

And thanks for the phone call. Hope you're still doing well.