Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The sun'll come out tomorrow.....or maybe the next day?

Well, we're officially out of Vermud/Vermont and onto the (hopefully) less muddy places ahead. So, last time I updated, we were in Dalton, Mass. Since CC wasn't feeling well, we took a half day off, then Slack-packed 23 miles from North Adams back to Dalton. It was a beautiful day, little did I know it would be the last beautiful day for a while. After slacking, we met back up with Enoch, Moc, OD, Bea and Kbomb. We hiked with them from N. Adams to Manchester Center, where we met up with Freefall and Wookie, then took a zero @ Freefall's parents' house. Her mom cooked up a storm and we went canoing, it was great!
After that, we meandered our way back onto the Long Trail/AT. This is a high-use thoroughfare, so much so that some of the shelters charge usage fees in peak season. From about 5 miles into Vermont to about now, it has rained at least once a day, if not the whole day. There were also a few thunderstorms that made me move faster over the ridges. The ridges have also gotten progressively higher, preparing our muscles for the greuling steepness of the Whites (or at least it looks that way on the profile maps).
Back to the point- I HATE WET FEET! Since the beginning of Vt, my feet have only stayed dry outside of my sleeping bag for a total of 2 hours, and that was yesterday. There were a few days that just about every other step I took, the mud suctioned it so I nearly lost my shoes, thank goodness I tie them tight. Though it does make for some fun puddle jumping in the beginning, walking through a stream/waterfall/trail gets old after a few hours. I did have 'it's raining men' stuck in my head for most of the past week though....
Oh, and about 6 days ago, someone informed me that Vermont has already gotten it's average rainfall for the month of August. Yes, that is this month.
But now we're in New Hampshire, and everyone's been saying it's time to get to work, as I think 'If this is the work, what have we been doing the past 4 months?!' Apparently, the rule on the trail is, we've now done 80% of the trail but only 20% of the work. So, with only 450ish miles left, it's time to work hard through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the southern part of Maine. I've got my cold weather gear back, a couple new pairs of socks, and a good attitude- bring it on!

Note to Aunt Deb and Uncle Don- We hear the Leaf season in Vt this year won't be very spectacular because of the exorbinant amount of rain they've gotten. That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren,

I'm the lovely fellow who so excitedly gave you a ride in to Lincoln. (Seriously, it absolutely made my day. Even more than laughing at the goofers going down Flume Slide which is "not recommended for descent" and more than the clouds whipping across Franconia Ridge and more than hiking with friends and more than visiting friends at Greenleaf.) Thanks to you and your hiker folks for being there! And no, the car doesn't smell too bad.

You can read more about my AT hike at ofsevit.dynalias.com:8081/at/. A New Hampshire quote: "Most of the folks up were duly impressed with thru-hiking, as the four mile slog up the Garfield Trail was a lot for them. I'd hiked 19 miles. And even though I have hiked days over 30, today was much harder."

Enjoy the good weather! And FYI, drop my name at Zealand, Mizpah (until the 21st or so) or Lakes (also until the 21st or so) and you'll do fine. Just tell them I lectured you all on being good thru hikers, and doing your work, etc.