Sunday, June 15, 2008

How hot is hot?

Did you know your earlobes sweat? I didn't until hiking in humid, 95 degree weather for a few days. We were on a siesta schedule for half of this past week because of the heat and humidity- get up @ 5, start hiking by 6, take a break from noonish to fivish, continue hiking til 7 or 8. I hope to not have to do that again for a while. Finally, when we got to Big Meadow campground, a cold front moved through and cooled it down to the low 80s. I don't think I had ever been so excited about a cold front in my life. Oh, and we got to shower @ the campground and eat real food as well @ the wayside-yummy.
So we'vre decided that in Shennandoah National Park, they really need to re-route the AT so it goes past some exciting parts, as opposed to the boring, not-many-views part it traverses now. We did, however, see many bears and too many deer to count. We saw so many bears, I think I may be good on sightings for the rest of the trip. In one day, hiking the 20 miles into Big Meadows campground/lodge, CC Rider and I saw 8 bears collectively. 3 of them being a mother and her 2 cubs about 35-40ft. from us, not really caring when we made noise. We also got a dinner time visit from another mother and her cub being about 25-30ft. away, but we scared them away by barking @ them.
It has been figured out that we'll be in PA by the end of the week, and probably in Duncannon (the closest place to State College) about a week after that. I'll try to update everyone on a more definite arrival date as we get closer, so anyone who wants to visit can, but that's the plan so far. I still can't believe I'm almost half done with this, we'll be in Harpers Ferry on the 19th!
In other news, I needed to get a small hip belt because my medium was cinched as tight as possible and still bruising my hips from being loose. I also finally lost the dead toenail I had. That is all:)

No comments: